Body Art Sterilization Guidelines
Sterilization procedures must include the following:
1. Proper autoclaving must be done according to
the autoclave manufacturer's instructions.
2. There must be a sterilization indicator in
each autoclaving to monitor the sterilization procedure. The
indicator must indicate exposure to steam and 250° Fahrenheit.
3. Contaminated instruments must be sterilized
in the following manner:
a. The contaminated instruments must be thoroughly
cleansed with an antiseptic solution, according to the instructions
for the antiseptic solution, and hot water.
b. The contaminated instruments and all other
instruments, must be packaged properly and loaded correctly
into the autoclave.
c. The contaminated instruments must be sterilized
4. All sterilized instruments must be stored and
handled in a manner that maintains sterility.
5. Autoclaves must be cleaned regularly and serviced
at least once a year.
6. Each body-piercing salon utilizing autoclave
sterilization techniques must post the sterilization procedures
and ensure that personnel responsible for performing the sterilization
procedures are adequately trained.
7. All staff must be trained in proper infection-control
8. Presterilized, prewrapped, disposable instruments
may be used, but must be used in accordance with the manufacturer's
Specific Authority 381.0075(10) FS.
Law Implemented 381.0075(10),(11) FS. History - New1-21-00.
The above are the guidlines for sterilization procedures only.
For the entire Florida Statues Regulation of Body Piercing Salons
(381.0075) click here